Friday, September 29, 2006

Must learn Chinese... must learn Chinese...



I have just this morning finalised my travel arrangements for next week's holiday. As I think I wrote before, I'm returning to Pingxiang (scene of last year's visit to China) to see Steven, Rose, Jasmine etc. I had booked the train ticket there (all 28 hours of it!) in plenty of time, knowing how busy the trains will be at this time of the year. I was trying to avoid taking a plane because it's quite expensive in relation to my salary here. However, there were only 4 tickets available on the train I wanted to take coming back and, of course, they were quickly snapped up by those with friends in high places... So, a quick bit of internet surfing last night found me a plane ticket from Changsha to Kunming (I'll take a bus to Changsha early doors in order to catch my flight). A 'conversation' this morning in Chinese (!?!?!) with the delivery man, me pedalling madly round campus trying to find him and a dodgy handover of hard cash found me the proud owner of a plane ticket. Cinderella will get back to Kunming in time for classes on Monday! (Fingers crossed).

Yippee! Anyway, I have to finish planning my class for tomorrow morning (Saturday!) As we are only allowed 3 days for the holiday, Wednesday and Friday's classes have to be 'made up' this weekend... Luckily, I only have one class on Wednesday and none on Friday.

Oh, I had a request for more pictures. I'm afraid I haven't taken any for ages, but here are a couple from when I was in Chengdu. One is in the grounds of a temple and the other is a Chinese tourist shop at DuFu's House (he was a famous Chinese poet).

'Difficulties are just things to overcome, after all.' Ernest Shackleton

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I get it now, there are links and stuff to trawl through to find the most up to date info, my link kept taking me to the same dull stuff, sorry old stuff. Well keep it up it will give me somthing to do in those quiet moments at work. No excuse for not emailing though.

Dave

J Fraser said...

hey steph!

you know you change the size of the pictures too so we can see them better. Or is your interent connection pretty slow?
Have a great weekend!!

:) Jess

Paul said...

hey- my classes are really small.. about 6 or 7 students max.. i guess that says something about the respective economies of Japan and China!

--paul

Anonymous said...

Steph, have your tried www.chinese-tools.com? That's one of the most comprehensive educational website.
- Learn chinese : 40 audio mandarin lessons
- Chinese english dictionary : 70 000 entries
- Chinese songs : with lyrics in chinese + pinyin + english annotation (and download)!!!
Hope you'll find it usefull...