Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Dog is not just for Christmas...





So, over 1,600km there and back, a 25hr train journey, a bus, a taxi, a plane and another taxi and I am back from Pingxiang! Yippee!!!

As I explained, I had been invited back by a friend of Rick's (and now also mine), to spend National Holiday with him and his family. National Holiday is very much a family occasion and very important in the Chinese year. Steven and Rose and their respective families included me very warmly in all their celebrations and it was a crazy and fascinating (if a little tiring) week.

I took the train there to save money and also to see the countryside. The journey went very smoothly and I read for most of it, but it was a little frustrating not to be able to communicate with the others in my compartment (6 beds, known as a 'hard sleeper'), as they all seemed very friendly. As usual they shared their food with me.

We passed through some amazing countryside (and some slightly less amazing countryside!) Rounded, tree-covered hills, tumbling rivers, rice stalks stacked up in the fields, corn on the cob threaded together to dry out, water buffalo working in the fields...

So, what did I do? I went for many, many meals at the houses of various relatives, including Steven's parents in Shanli and Steven's grandparents somewhere deep in the countryside. We took a car most of the way and walked the last bit up a dirt path. It was there that I had my first taste or what is normally thought of as a pet. [If you're not following, look at the title of this post]. Climbed Wugong Mountain for the second time with Joseph (works in the library at Pingxiang College) and two Chinese boys, Tony & David, both of whom speak very good English. We climbed the mountain in 2 hours, which is quite quick, and I spend the rest of the week nursing very stiff legs as a result. [Not the best in any circumstances, but when the only toilets available as those of the 'squat' variety, it makes going for a pee a painful experience!] One of the pictures is of the 'hotel' we stayed in. For 'hotel' read 'wooden hut with beds in it'.

Went to a random person's wedding party (friend of Rose's). Got stared at. A LOT. Pingxiang is much worse than Kunming for that. Although I did amuse myself by saying 'Ni hao' [hello] to anyone who stared for too long. The first night there I did this to someone and he was deeply shocked, much to Rose's amusement. Haha. Drank lots of beer and some baijuo (strong rice wine) - thanks Rick! Met up with some of Rick's former students at Pingxiang College. The college has grown quite a lot since I was there last year and looks quite different. I even bumped into Bob [recruits foreign teachers], who asked me as usual if I knew anyone who wanted to come and teach at the college!

So much happened, I don't really know where to start or to finish. I am really glad I went. Kunming is great in lots of ways, and I'm glad to be living here. It's somewhat 'easier' to live here than in Pingxiang. However, I know that if I go to Pingxiang and see Steven etc., I get to experience the 'real' China.

Maybe one day Rose & Steven will visit Britain and I can repay the favour. They're very keen to and I hope they do!

Coming back, I took the aeroplane. Partly because it was difficult to get a train ticket coming back and partly to save time. I took a bus from Pingxiang to Changsha and ended up sitting next to a Chinese girl who teaches English in Pingixiang - someone else to put in my e-mail address book. She helped me sort out a taxi from the bus station to the airport (easier than another bus as I was short of time!) Flying back took just 1 hour 40 mins. Much easier, but you miss out on the whole train experience and seeing the change in scenery etc.

Well, I am currently sitting in my pyjamas writing this, even though it is only 5.15pm. I am nursing a cold, a sore throat and and aching wisdom tooth - sympathy please! However, it has stopped raining, Wikipedia works again here and my last class of the week is tomorrow morning.

Mustn't grumble...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my wisdom teeth were hurting the other day too. You definitely have my sympathy!

What did dog taste like then? Chicken? Everyone always says everything tastes like chicken...

Steph said...

Kind of a bit like stringy beef, with a strange sweet flavour... not something I'll be making a habit of eating! But it was ok.