Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Are these your own words?

Morning all. Today sees me marking assignments for the second day in a row - yippee! I have to set assignments for my 3 writing classes. I'm supposed to set 10 over the semester, but I'm not sure that that's going to happen as I have about 150 students in the 3 classes - that's a lot of work to mark! I made the mistake of not reminding students that their writing must be their own work - the first few I read were so obviously lifted (either in part or entirely) from books or the internet. Next lesson will start with a short presentation on the word 'plagiarism'...

Last weekend I made my first trip to the swimming pool in Kunming. It's called 'Tudong' swimming pool and is in the East of the city, close to the Camelia Hotel. I went with one of my students and her boyfriend. It seemed fine, apart from the greenish tinge at both the shallow and deep ends. Hmmm.

Monday saw me reading the commentary for the promotional video that is being made for the university. If you remember, last week I got roped into appearing in the video. Someone liked my accent and so they asked me to read the commentary as well. Lucky me. I'll have my 15 minutes of fame yet.

Oh well, back to those assignments. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, the joys of marking - you could always adopt Tom's approach to marking - give them all "a good attempt" and B- !!! I must say that it is one aspect of the job I am not missing at all.