Thursday, October 04, 2007

Sunshine, bullfighting and singing 'Head Shoulders Knees & Toes' .




So, finally, I get the chance to write my blog again. A lot of time has passed since I last wrote, or it feels like it at least. I'm now in Jaen, in Southern Spain, with China seeming a million miles away in some ways, but definitely missed.

Term started at the private English school where I teach on 13th September. Things are gradually settling into some sort of pattern, though I've yet to stop feeling nervous and to fully gain control of one particular class of 7 year olds, but I'm working on it. I've also yet to get my special 'Foreigner's Number' (an ID number which means I'll no longer get taxed at 25%!) In order to get that I have to go to various places with various bits of paper, none of which can be done until I have my rental agreement. Happy days...

A friend visited last week and at the weekend we visited the Cazorla National Park area, which was beautiful. We only saw a small part of it, so I'll definitely be back to see some more.

The weather has been pretty warm, though is just starting to get a bit chilly. I'm struggling a bit with working afternoons and evenings - you basically spend all day waiting to go to work. It's also difficult to go to bed early and therefore difficult also to get up in the morning. However, I've joined a gym (yet another test of my poor Spanish!) and will be trying to get to the 9.30am classes at least (the 8.30am ones might be a step too far...)

Next week and the week after are short weeks - 4 days and 3 days respectively. Yippee! The second of those long weekends is also the Feria here in Jaen, so I'll definitely be reporting back on that. Which brings me nicely to bullfighting. Very much still part of the culture here. I've watched it a little bit on TV and no doubt I'll go to one just for the experience, but I can't say it's something I really understand.

And finally... 'Head Shoulders Knees & Toes'? The old favourite. I've sung it in England, France, China and now Spain. Can't go wrong...

Adios and hasta luego with some more photos hopefully.

No comments: