Thursday, October 18, 2007

Red tape and randomness.

As is generally the way, and as I knew they would, things are starting to settle into some sort of pattern.

It is currently the 'Feria' in Jaen, though I have yet to make it inside the gates. Last Saturday night it was 3 or 3.30am when we got there and I had just had enough, so went home! I can't get used to the time people go out here and I've decided that I don't particularly want to. That night my flatmates got in at about 9 in the morning. As far as I'm concerned that's getting up late, not a time for getting in... hey ho.

Yesterday was a good day as I finally got my N.I.E. (Numero de Identidad de Extranjero), which should make things generally easier and ensure that I don't get taxed at 25% any more. Getting it was less than easy, however. To start with I needed to fill in a form (of course!) With that form I had to have a certificate of registration in the city. To get that certificate I needed a rental contract with my name on it. First hurdle. I had to wait until we had found a third flatmate for the landlord to come round and sort that out. That done finally, I returned to the Town Hall for the certificate, which of course involved two trips. Then I had to call the Foreigners Office and make an appointment. That involved dialling many many times and the number seemed to be constantly engaged. And then, even when I turned up for my appointment I had to queue to get a number to go through to the inner sanctum where my documents were processed.

That done, amid much queuing with mostly North African men, I had to go to a bank to pay some money to the National Treasury or something. Then back to the Foreigners Office (but only at 12pm), more queuing and finally I was sent away clutching a certificate with my number on it. Yippee!!!

And it's supposed to be easy for EU residents to work in other EU countries.

Apart from that, I had an interesting conversation with an old Spanish man yesterday. He sat down on a park bench next to me and asked me if I had a boyfriend. He then proceeded to tell me (I think!) about some cousin of his in Madrid who had some woman on the side and to warn me about the dangers of living in a different place from your boyfriend / girlfriend. I think he just wanted to talk to someone and seemed content with my brief nods and the occasional 'si'. The only slightly worrying thing was that he seemed to be leaning closer and closer as he spoke to me. Probably a bit hard of hearing or something...

So today I'm going for a day out with one of the other teachers at my school. She and her boyfriend have a car, so we're going to make good use of it and actually do something during our four day weekend. Saturday I'm going walking with a local walking group and at some point I'm going to try and sign up for the 10k that's going on here in Jaen next weekend.

More soon...

No comments: