Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Hiking... the Spanish way

Now, usually when I go walking with the walking club here, it's a fairly serious affair, generally up a steep hill with much sweating involved. We often go for a beer and tapas afterwards and I invariably end up home at about 3pm, more than a little tipsy and completely exhausted.

But it's all done in the correct order: walk, drink.

However, the other weekend I went walking with one of my friends, Paco, from the club. His wife came too, plus another couple who are friends of theirs. We walked along the Via Verde, which I think I've talked about before. As an old railway line that's been developed for walking, running and cycling, it's easy walking. We walked to Torredelcampo, a nearby village, which is about 11 or 12 kilometres from Jaen. A reasonable distance to walk, and very enjoyable in the sunshine.

At Torredelcampo we went to a bar for drinks and tapas. We sank several beers, a glass of wine and a small glass of something which looked radioactive and was very very strong. The tapas was good and included some mature cheese, hand-cooked potato crisps and goat (I think!)

It was all very pleasant I began to feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Shame about the 12kms we had to walk home... The journey passed quite quickly (!) but it wasn't ideal. By the time I got home I was fit to drop and had the beginnings of a hangover. Oh well...

Last weekend I visited Cordoba, a very attractive city which is famous for its 'Mezquita Catedral', a combination mosque and cathedral. I know, I was a bit surprised too. It's a very attractive building and it, and the rest of the city, are well worth visiting.

Portugal this weekend for a long weekend.

Hasta luego...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Si te gustan los espacios naturales, te recomiendo una web de la Junta de Andalucía donde hay bastante información:

http://www.juntadeandalucia.es/medioambiente/ventanadelvisitante