Thursday, February 07, 2008

Adventures in urban running


As I was on the last bit of one of my favourite running loops yesterday, I pondered the hazards of urban running.

Now that particular loop is a relatively new one, but I like it a lot. It does involve some pounding the streets and dodging shoppers, but it also includes a good steep climb, some quiet bits below the castle, and fantastic views across the city to the mountains beyond. On a clear day (which here means most days) it really is beautiful.

However, the street bits do require some patience and concentration as there are plenty of potential pitfalls for the unwary runner. Here are some:

1. Sudden stoppers / direction changers;
2. Congregators (people who walk in a big group, taking up the whole pavement);
3. Drifters (often too busy looking at their mobile phones to steer a straight course);
4. Arm swingers (some people do this very heartily as they're walking!) and
5. Last but not least - that which dogs leave behind...

And on that note, I'll bid you farewell for now, except to say that I've had to purchase an oven glove due to a more than acceptable number of burns to my hands recently (see photo).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now don't get me started on drifters/texters - and I'm only trying to walk my way through the streets of cambridge! (am thinking of attaching bull bars to the pushchair....)
and presumably you weren't getting things out the oven bare handed?!?