Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Happy 'Niu' Year!

So, the Chinese New Year has begun and the first day dawned... full of snow! It snowed all day yesterday and it was very foggy, so I'm afraid I did very little. There didn't even seem to be that many fireworks - I suppose it was too cold for a lot of people to venture outside...

Just to explain the title of this post to those non-Chinese speakers out there: 'niu' (牛) is the Chinese word for cow and this year it's the the year of the... well, you get it.

We spent New Year's Eve round at the house of some Chinese friends, which was really nice. They've both been working in another city since September, so we haven't seen much of them. Their daughter is three and half years old now and my honorary niece. We spent quite a bit of time playing 'shop' which was interesting, what with my bad Chinese and her extortionate prices!!

Anyway, today needs to be a day of activity after yesterday's inactivity.

Have a good one...

No comments: