Thursday, November 20, 2008

Power and water

Just a quick post and I'll write later about the other trip we went on.

Tuesday evening I had a text message from my 'co-teacher' (the Chinese English teacher who was assigned to help me out with all sorts of things) telling me that the electricity and water were due to be off the following day from 8am to 6pm. Yippee!!! Anyway, duly forewarned we filled as many plastic vessels as we had, including a huge plastic bin-like container.

Next day the power and electricity were off and we had the cleaner coming round, so it was lucky that we'd stocked up.

And they stayed off... Yesterday evening there was some electricity in the classrooms but none for us. I retired to bed with my headtorch and book and was asleep by 9.30pm!! The electricity did come on again for a little while, but not long. Besides which, I was settled in bed by then and not getting out!

Don't know what was going on, but it looked like a lot of the city was without power as well.

No water again this morning, but the electricity had returned. By lunchtime we also had water back and I was able to finally wash my hair (it was a bit nasty!) The internet (which had also been off) has now returned as well. Obviously.

Still, it could be worse. The weather hasn't really got properly cold yet. We're used to unheated houses and classrooms here anyway and you don't really need light that much during the day, do you? It did make me think, though. Back in Britain schools are closed down if there are power cuts in winter. Here, people spend the whole winter without heating, trying to stay warm.

Anyway, if you're sitting reading this in a well-heated room, spare a though for me - I'm currently wearing four layers (including my jacket), thermal leggins and contemplating adding a hat. Joy...

No comments: