Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Classroom antics and other things...

Today is an easy day for me, just one afternoon class. However, the day began as my Tuesdays usually do with a run through the fields, scaring the farmers and trying not to be scared by the dogs (they're harmless, but I do feel a bit nervous as they trot towards me...)

I did consider giving the run a miss today as I went to the gym yesterday. Yes, that's right, a gym. In Pingxiang. And a clean one at that. Yippee! It's a Powerhouse gym, which is an American chain, so I suppose it works on a franchise basis or something. Anyway, it's empty during the day, spotlessly clean and has all the normal machines etc you'd expect to find in a gym. They also do aerobics, spinning and yoga classes, so I may well try some of those too. Now I'm not a big fan of gyms. In fact I'd even go as far as to say that I actively dislike them, but we decided it was necessary as we're not getting enough exercise in. My plan is to put some Chinese listening on my mp3 and make it a learning experience as well (though I'll probably just end up switching to music as I sweat and curse!!) Ooh there's also a squash court. Looking forward to that, though no doubt I'll be bruised and battered.

Back to my class. It's a speaking class - 60 first years and a bit noisy. No, acutally, a lot noisy. But never mind. At least they're speaking and as far as I can tell, most of it's in English.

I'm not sure if I've written about him before, but I have a mature student in this class. It's quite commical to see him at the back, squashed into a bench amongst the youngsters. I really don't know what he thinks of my class - I'm sure it's a far cry from his English lessons at school and university (?) In fact, I was told that he wanted to improve his English in order to be able to read more articles etc related to his job, so I'm not sure why he's coming to an oral English class.

I was preparing them for their mid-term exam today and so I told him that it was optional for him. But he was quite keen to come along and take part with one of the groups. So, we'll see.

As I was walking back from class, enjoying the sunshine, a smart white VW drove past me and there he was leaning out of the window: "Bye bye!" Made me smile.

On a different note, R has bought a motorbike (125cc only) which makes it a lot easier to get out and about - even doing the shopping is more fun!! It also means we can get deep into the heart of the countryside, and you really don't have to go far to do that. Promise I'll post some photos soon so you can see how it is - like stepping back 50 years or more.

Well, the weather's fabulous. Maybe just time for a quick spin before tea...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yoga in chinese eh? That sounds very zen (or is that Japanese?!?)