Friday, September 19, 2008

Back in the Middle Kingdom

First of all, apologies for not having written this sooner. I promised lots of [may be a slight exageration - a few] people that I would get writing my blog again once I was in China and I've been here nearly three weeks now and not written a thing...

Smooth journey, collected successfully from Changsha Airport and taken into Changsha, where we stayed overnight, in order to have our compulsory medicals the next day. All went more or less smoothly and it appears that we're both fit and well. Phew! Only slight hitch was when R was rushed from the blood sample room to the toilet for a wee sample and mid-flow his arm started off bleeding again. What to do?!!! Haha.

The College is busy and full of students (big surprise there!) We had some respite - only one day's teaching the first week and the first year students missing for the first two weeks. (They have to do military training and we could see them on the football pitch every day, getting shouted at by the soldiers!!)

Teaching has been fine so far. Getting used to the noise of 50+ students all speaking at once in an Oral English class. I quite like it actually, providing they're actually practising their English and not taking the opportunity to have a sneaky chat with their friend in Chinese... I only have Oral and Writing classes this semester, which makes planning relatively easy, though teaching can feel a little repetitive at times.

The apartment is slowly taking shape - we've cleaned a lot and the cleaner has been in twice. Still killing the odd cockroach, but I believe (optimistically) that they are getting fewer and fewer. There was also a scary flying spider last night, but I'm sure that's a one-off!!!

Will post photos soon when I've taken some.

It's good to be back in the land of cheap DVDs, good food and being semi-famous.

Altogether now: Halllooooooooooo!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here I am as promised :)
Flying spiders sound wrong, as do classes of 50 students. Have finally had my moments of feeling VERY relieved that I'm not back in front of my 30... xxx

Stu said...

Hi Steph,

I've subscribed to this now so you can count me as a regular reader. I am expecting regular high-quality content!

Good luck settling in :)

xxx