Friday, June 01, 2007

XXX





So there we sat, in a cold room with the sound of thunder rumbling round the hills, remembering an Australian with a big heart.

Not something I had anticipated doing on my thirtieth birthday, but Peter's death happened suddenly and the meeting to remember him was arranged for Sunday. A teacher on and off for several years at YUFE, Peter certainly seems to have touched many people's lives and many remembered his smile and generosity. His daughters had come over to China from Australia and must have found it strange finding out so much about Peter's life in China without him there. For me I remember a guy who was very helpful to me before I ever arrived in China and who would always joke around with me about something. He will be missed.

Last Saturday, the day before my birthday, we celebrated with a party at the apartment of one of my students, followed by bowling and a quick dance at Speakeasy. Part of the reason for celebrating a day early was that two good friends from England, Sophie and John, were visiting me as part of their whistle-stop tour of China, but were due to leave the morning of my birthday. It was a cracking evening, especially for someone who usually dislikes being the centre of attention.

The next day I completed my East-meets-West birthday, being taken out for dinner by the parents of some Chinese children I teach English to. It was a really nice meal - good restaurant and a really kind gesture. We even had Chinese birthday cake, though this was massacred rather than cut by the nine-year-old wielding the (plastic) knife!

And so it is now June and there are just four more teaching weeks left, exams and then time for a rest, I think. I am looking forward to going home very much, but I will certainly missed the city that has been my home for the last nine and a half months and especially the people I have met here.

I wonder if I'll still be able to perform my favourite party trick in another thirty years...

2 comments:

Paul said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Paul said...

Sorry to hear that you have suffered the loss of a friend recently.

But congratulations on your birthday, I hope it was a happy occasion not withstanding.

What are you plans when you return to England?

Take care

Paul